I would just add two comments.

One critical criteria for me on the Skype v SIP debate has been whether
or not the user can always guarantee they will have access to a
computer.  I have found that for traveling employees Skype has its place.

I agree that trying to run two systems side by side is not ideal, but in
my experience the only practical way to transition between system is an
evolutionary one.
Mart