I've heard people call it an "async def" too.

I don't think it's quite as dramatic as you worry about. People also
talk about generators (not generator functions) and even though
there's a further ambiguity between the function and the type of
object it returns, we still get along.

There's also the @coroutine decorator.

If you have a specific piece of documentation in mind, let's talk --
maybe it's fine to change.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)