It would probably be hard for people to find at this point all the
places they might be relying on this behavior (if anywhere), but isn't
this a basic documented property of coroutines?

From the introduction section on coroutines [1]:

> Calling a coroutine does not start its code running – the coroutine object
> returned by the call doesn’t do anything until you schedule its execution.
> There are two basic ways to start it running: call await coroutine or yield
> from coroutine from another coroutine (assuming the other coroutine is
> already running!), or schedule its execution using the ensure_future()
> function or the AbstractEventLoop.create_task() method.

> Coroutines (and tasks) can only run when the event loop is running.

[1]: https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio-task.html#coroutines

--Chris

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Guido van Rossum <gvanros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Depending on the coroutine*not* running sounds like asking for trouble.
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2018, 09:38 Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What real problem do you want to solve?
>> Correct code should always use `await loop.sock_connect(sock, addr)`, it
>> this case the behavior difference never hurts you.
>>
>> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 7:04 PM twisteroid ambassador
>> <twisteroid.ambassa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> tl;dr: coroutine functions and regular functions returning Futures
>>> behave differently: the latter may start running immediately without
>>> being scheduled on a loop, or even with no loop running. This might be
>>> bad since the two are sometimes advertised to be interchangeable.
>>>

>>> I find that sometimes I want to construct a coroutine object, store it
>>> for some time, and run it later. Most times it works like one would
>>> expect: I call a coroutine function which gives me a coroutine object,
>>> I hold on to the coroutine object, I later await it or use
>>> loop.create_task(), asyncio.gather(), etc. on it, and only then it
>>> starts to run.
>>>
>>> However, I have found some cases where the "coroutine" starts running
>>> immediately. The first example is loop.run_in_executor(). I guess this
>>> is somewhat unsurprising since the passed function don't actually run
>>> in the event loop. Demonstrated below with strace and the interactive
>>> console:
>>>
>>> $ strace -e connect -f python3
>>> Python 3.6.5 (default, Apr  4 2018, 15:01:18)
>>> [GCC 7.3.1 20180303 (Red Hat 7.3.1-5)] on linux
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(80),
>>> sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection