> On 13 March 2015 at 04:39,  <jh...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > I went through the archives, and the  wiki but I still wasn't sure...
> > I have a shiny new Lenovo z70, kernel 4.0-rc1/3.  Dmesg reports failures
> > for loading  firmware in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/...
> > So I found the firmware Git repo,  but it seems to be missing hw2.1. I even
> > symlinked 2.1 to  3.0, no dice.
>
> You can't use hw3 firmware for hw2 hardware.
>
> The problem is there's no publicly available ath10k firmware for hw2
> hardware..
>

> > I don't dual boot and this is a laptop  so I'm looking to get  my WiFi
> > working.  Any pointers are appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> You could try building hw2 firmware ath10k binary yourself. You need
> to fetch athwlan.bin from Windows driver, extract otp image from hw3
> firmware ath10k binary and then re-assemble both into hw3 firmware for
> ath10k. The ath10k binary blob is a tag-length-value format and can be
> understood by looking at ath10k_core_fetch_firmware_api_n().
>
> Nobody seems to have tried this yet though.

I installed WINE and attempted to install the driver from lenono on my
non-lenovo with working wifi. The install failed (expected) but not before it
extracted the actual driver installer images (expected). Parsing through an
.inf file, and navigating my way through the sections, I end up at a section
specifying eeprom_ar6320_2p1_NFA354xp.bin and qca61x420.bin as the firmware
files. I have these files.

However I am now diverging from your instructions considerably. Also I don't
know why I would want to reassemble into 3.0 when my system is looking for 2.1?
I don't know what an 'otp image' is? I think I understand the part about the
ath10k format though.

Could you update your instructions to suit the new information at hand?

Thanks again