On 2018-08-22 00:27, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2018-08-21 at 15:08 -0700, Pradeep Kumar Chitrapu wrote:

> Right. However, I guess we could allow updating/changing this setting
> on
> the fly through () which already allows changing
> other
> non-beacon parameters (like the probe or assoc response templates), and
> then we can use your approach. Basically changing "SET_BEACON" to be a
> bit like "CHANGE_AP".

Agree. ( ftm_responder param will have to be added in
cfg80211_beacon_data
instead of cfg80211_ap_settings)

Right. I'm not even sure that all devices can disable it though, so we
may be in a bind here? I think ours (Intel) can't, for example, disable
FTM responder without disabling the AP (at least momentarily)...

Should we just ignore that? Or perhaps add a separate capability for it?

Yes, even we behave the same. In that case, we can go ahead now with the
capability to only enable FTM responder. If the driver wants to support
disabling option in future, at which point, the new capability can be added.

However, changes to nl80211_set_beacon to support enabling FTM responder
may still be needed along with start_ap, assuming that ap start will be issued
by different android api than enableResponder api.

Please let me know your suggestion.

Maybe there's even hardware that cannot change the elements (LCI/Civic
location) on the fly?

johannes