On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 14:50:49 -0500
Kent Overstreet <kent.overstr...@linux.dev> wrote:

> Tangentially related though, what would make me really happy is if we
> could create the string with in the TP__fast_assign() section. I have to
> have a bunch of annoying wrappers right now because the string length
> has to be known when we invoke the tracepoint.

You can use __string_len() to determine the string length in the tracepoint
(which is executed in the TP_fast_assign() section).

My clean up patches will make __assign_str_len() obsolete too (I'm working
on them now), and you can just use __assign_str().

I noticed that I don't have a string_len example in the sample code and I'm
actually writing it now.

// cutting out everything else:

TRACE_EVENT(foo_bar,

        TP_PROTO(const char *foo, int bar),

        TP_ARGS(foo, bar),

        TP_STRUCT__entry(
                __string_len(   lstr,   foo,    bar < strlen(foo) ? bar :
strlen(foo) )
        ),

        TP_fast_assign(
                __assign_str(lstr, foo);

// Note, the above is with my updates, without them, you need to duplicate the
logic

//              __assign_str_len(lstr, foo, bar < strlen(foo) ? bar :
strlen(foo));
        ),

        TP_printk("%s", __get_str(lstr))
);

The above will allocate "bar < strlen(foo) ? bar : strlen(foo)" size on the
ring buffer. As the size is already stored, my clean up code uses that
instead of requiring duplicating the logic again.

-- Steve