I recently upgraded a laptop running x86 Gentoo to be current and at the same
time, upgraded the kernel from 2.6.28 to 2.6.31. I had been using the the
ath5k drivers with my D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650 (AR5212/AR5213 chipset) without
problems for some time. After the kernel upgrade, when I ssh'ed into the
laptop I would get a logon header, a few 100 bytes when I typed a command and
then the session froze. Inbound telnet sessions had the same problem. Outbound
sessions were very slow and kept timing-out (e.g., nfs mounts).

Reverting to 2.6.28, the problem disappeared. I rebuilt 2.6.31 with exactly
the same config as 2.6.28 but there was no change. Then I inactivated wlan0,
activated eth0 and everything was fine, so I am pretty sure the problem is
with the ath5k drivers. I also tried the madwifi-trunk-r4097-20090920
snapshot: that was better in so far as it did not hang, but performance was
extremely sluggish. I would like to upgrade the kernel for other reasons, so
how do I proceed with this? Output from "iwconfig wlan0" is similar for both
kernels and no messages appear in the syslogs.

TIA
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling