What I mean is, I tried the essid argument with a legitimate essid
and I tried the ap with a legitimate ap address.

I remember having to use ap one time because I was in a motel
with several access points that had the same essid, and if I
didn't specify the ap it would seem to connect to one that was
not working or not working well.

One reason I've been doing things by hand with ifconfig, iwlist,
iwconfig, dhclient     is that I'm sometimes in these situations
where the strongest signal is not the essid I want to connect to.
Plus I've never learned to understand NetManager, and I've had it
do things I didn't want done.

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net