On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Min-Wook Jeong <minw...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hi!
>Hi
> We would like to post a new question about the power and rate control.
>
> We have tried a power control with Netgear WNA1100 (ath9k_htc) adapter.
> Apparently, this adapter seems to be supporting power control as we can
> issue the command like
>
>   sudo iw dev wlan1 set txpower fixed 1800
>
> and verify that the txpower is changed to 18dBm via 'iwconfig' output.
>
> However, actual signal strength measurement shows that the adapter uses the
> same power. Therefore, we inserted the code
>
>    REG_WRITE(ah, AR_PHY_POWER_TX_RATE_MAX, MAX_RATE_POWER |
>    AR_PHY_POWER_TX_RATE_MAX_TPC_ENABLE)
>
> you suggested in the driver and testing.
>
> We are curious about
>
> 1. Are 'ath9k' and 'ath9k_htc' different in terms of transmit power control
> (TPC)?
>    'ath9k' obviously supports TPC but if 'ath9k_htc' does not, we will try
> our experiment with another WLAN adapter with 'ath9k' driver.
I think yes ath9k_htc does supports TPC

> 2. It is about bitrate control. Currently, our device WNA1100 does not allow
> us to change the bitrate by issuing the command like
>
>    sudo iw dev wlan1 set bitrates legacy-2.4 36
It worked for me.I had set the AP in legacy G mode and before
connecting to the AP I used this command.
I dont think this command will work after the connection is established.
Please do check whether the same thing is working if you connect to an
AP which is in mixed/'n' mode(NA mode,NG mode)
>   Is it common with all adapters with 'ath9k' and 'ath9k_htc' or is is a
> problem with this particular adapter?
Please provide the lspci output.what card(s) are you using?
For ath9k_htc I think this may not be supported
Are you getting it like this?
command failed: Operation not supported (-95)
The Rate Control is handled in firmware,so this might be the reason

> 3. If we can do the bitrate control by setting up the proper register, could
> you tell us how to do that?
Dont know, I think it should be there some where  .. I will look into
it, but you can work with the iw command know ? It will be supported
in most cards.