Hi Jay,

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Jay Davidson <jdiq...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would be grateful if someone could outline how (packet etc.)
> acknowledgements work in the ath9k driver (as 802.11n uses block ack.), and
> what sections of code need to be modified(patch) to disable or amend the
> acknowledgement mechanism.

Block acks are, if my understanding is correct, generated immediately
by the hardware when an aggregate is received.

Received block acks are handled in software though. In xmit.c there is
code to build aggregates, transmit them and handle the block acks
received. As I understand it the sw sets up a multirate retry series
for the aggregate and hands it off to hw. The hw transmits the entire
aggregate, multiple times if necessary (according to the multirate
retry series), until a block ack is received, at which time the
aggregate is marked done from a hw point of view and handed over to
sw. The sw will look at the block ack bitmap of successful/failed
subframes and may schedule these for retries in new aggregates.

Even if this logic is mostly in hardware there are of course many ways
to alter the behavior. There is also a lot of room for improvement,
e.g. in how aggregates are built and how the xmit logic interacts with
rate control.

> Thank you all very much

No probs, but I guess you where after something more specific.

/Björn