On 20 October 2011 05:35, Bryan Phillippe <b...@terran.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After upgrading to compat-wireless-2011-10-10 and hostapd-0.7.3 on my
> IXP4xx-based ARM Access Point, I'm seeing dramatically-improved stability and
> performance.  Great work!
>
> Under these combinations of software, I'm seeing long-term AP associations
> maintained by the clients (no longer getting the drops and disconnects I was
> seeing in previous versions); pretty good performance; and stable memory use.
>
> However, I've noted two issues that I'd like to explore with your help.  The
> first is that, under enough load, I still see this:
>
> ath: Failed to stop TX DMA!

Hm, that bug has been in FreeBSD/Linux for quite a while. I don't
think we've ever figured out what it is, and it's likely some kind of
magical cross-section of architecture, utilisation and NIC version.
So, call it "hard to figure out."

> This message doesn't really seem to coincide with a functional problem, so
> perhaps I can just safely ignore it...

Yeah, it's likely something to do with cabq traffic being disabled and
being unable to. Don't worry about it for now.

> The other problem I'm seeing is that when I have a lot of clients connected -
> say, 20 or so - performance degrades pretty steeply and I start seeing high
> packet loss.  I know that sounds like a pure load issue, but I'd like to make
> sure it's only that and not some efficiency setting I can tune in the driver.
>  I do NOT see this kind of performance degradation if I have the same 20
> people connected to the AP via a wired connection, doing the same traffic
> test - so that seems to suggest the WiFi is suffering early.
>
> Thoughts or suggestions?  Tests I can run?  Data I can gather?

Well, if you reach 20 people, there are a few questions:

* are they saturating the air? is it something that can be fixed by
driver hacking?
* is it a tx or rx problem? or both?
* have you hit some driver limit (eg ran out of crypto keycache slots
and some clients are being done in software? or all? or an even worse
failure mode?) ?

I'd suggest grabbing some kind of diagnostic tool (eg wispy or
something similar) and see how busy the spectrum is. The
driver/mac80211 can give you some idea of how busy it sees the air
being but I don't know whether the survey results are available in
hostap mode. (iw survey, I think?)

So the answer is "maybe, but you need to do further digging."

Adrian