Yeah,
My initial  premise was  that u have saturated traffic from upper layers.
But now I think u have some application level requirements (data rate is
less than max PHY rate).
In this case I would advise you to add wait in mac80211. Because as far as
I know ath9k driven by its calls and calls by driver.

Regards,
kamran