hi,

On 12 December 2016 at 12:05, Martin Blumenstingl
<martin.blumensti...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> It seems that there are a few devices out there where the whole EEPROM
> is swab16'ed which switches the position of the 1-byte fields
> opCapFlags and eepMisc.
> those still work fine with the new code, however I had a second patch
> in LEDE [0] which results in ath9k_platform_data.endian_check NOT
> being set anymore.
> that endian_check flag was used before to swab16 the whole EEPROM, to
> correct the position of the 1-byte fields again.
> Currently we are fixing this in the firmware hotplug script: [1]
> This is definitely not a blocker for this series though (if we want to
> have a devicetree replacement for "ath9k_platform_data.endian_check"
> then I'd work on that within a separate series, but I somewhat
> consider these EEPROMs as "broken" so fixing them in
> userspace/firmware hotplug script is fine for me)

As a reference - the reference driver has been doign this for a while.
It attempts to detect the endianness by looking at the 0xa55a
signature endian and figuring out which endian the actual contents are
in.

So just FYI yeah, this is a "thing" for reasons I don't quite know.

-adrian