Hi,

It's a firmware limitation with the ar9271. You could modify the open source
firmware to get more than 2 vif's, but as memory is constrained you would hit
another brick wall pretty soon...

From: ath9k-devel-boun...@lists.ath9k.org
[mailto:ath9k-devel-boun...@lists.ath9k.org] On Behalf Of Jack Fallington
Sent: 08 November, 2016 3:02 PM
To: ath9k-devel@lists.ath9k.org
Subject: [ath9k-devel] Bringing up More Than Two Station Mode Virtual Interfaces

I've been having a problem using the ath9k_htc driver and was hoping someone
here might have some advice.

I'm trying to connect (on a single channel) to a single AP multiple times
simultaneously using one physical wireless adapter. I haven't been able to
bring up more than two virtual interfaces so far.

Here's my setup.

Linux Distribution:    Kali Linux 2016.2
Kernel Version:    4.6.0
Wireless Adapter:    TP-Link TL-WN722N
Adapter Chipset:    Atheros AR9271
Driver: ath9k_htc
Firmware version: 1.4.0

Here's what I've tried:

Disable network-manager.
    root@kali:~# /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
    [ ok ] Stopping network-manager (via systemctl): network-manager.service.

Disable hardware encryption, because I've read this adapter won't support
virtual interfaces with hardware encryption enabled.
    root@kali:~# echo "options ath9k_htc nohwcrypt=1"
>/etc/modprobe.d/ath9k_htc.conf
    root@kali:~# modprobe ath9k_htc
    root@kali:~# cat /sys/module/ath9k_htc/parameters/nohwcrypt
    1

Create three virtual interfaces with unique MAC addresses.
    root@kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan1 type station
    root@kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan2 type station
    root@kali:~# iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan3 type station
    root@kali:~# macchanger -r wlan1
    Current MAC:   [redacted] (unknown)
    Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
    New MAC:       ea:4c:bc:e0:8b:36 (unknown)
    root@kali:~# macchanger -r wlan2
    Current MAC:   [redacted] (unknown)
    Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
    New MAC:       52:3a:02:22:4d:4a (unknown)
    root@kali:~# macchanger -r wlan3
    Current MAC:   [redacted] (unknown)
    Permanent MAC: [redacted] (unknown)
    New MAC:       da:05:ce:1e:d0:41 (unknown)

Attempt to bring the new virtual interfaces up.
    root@kali:~# ifconfig wlan1 up
    root@kali:~# ifconfig wlan2 up
    root@kali:~# ifconfig wlan3 up
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

The third interface fails to come up.

On this page, they say, "We have successfully tested more than 200 stations and
up to 4 APs per radio/NIC using ath9k and our code trees." They don't mention
ath9k_htc, but I was hoping it also would also allow more than two station mode
virtual interfaces. Or perhaps it's a firmware or hardware limitation causing
my problem.

Is there anything else I can try? If not, is there another chipset and driver
combination that would allow me to use at least 20 simultaneous station
interfaces?