Henry Story wrote:

On 6 Feb 2005, at 08:00, Bob Wyman wrote:

-1.
The use cases for archiving have not been well defined or well
discussed on this list. It is, I believe, inappropriate and unwise to try to
rush through something this major at the last moment before a pending Last
Call.

I agree. Very serious -1 for me.

I think the versioning element of id works very well. I am using it
in my BlogEd model currently. I think the feed works very well as
an archiving format already. No need to change anything that works well.

Furthermore I think one should prove that harm is being done by the
id as version feature (which would be difficult to show, because I have implemented this, Bob has implemented it, and neither of us have
come across a problem).

We already have a problem - Bob wanting updated to mean modified.

Pardon me for observing that the two individuals mentioned are above average in intelligence, and actually read specifications - an unusual trait.

If you produce feeds that contain multiple entries with the same id, there will be people who misunderstand such documents.

I do believe that there needs to be some way to say "this is not a feed, but an archive".

- Sam Ruby