> I understand that. It would also be acceptable for us to
> decide to make it compatible, without changing the charter, correct?

As long as that goal doesn't conflict with other chartered work items, yes.

> Much like we could've guaranteed questions from our A.D.
> about date formats [0], I would also expect our A.D. to ask
> some questions if we reinvent several features already found
> in WebDAV.

Why?  WebDAV reuse isn't currently a required part of what this group is
supposed to be doing.  Sure, I might ask questions if it looks like there's
overlap and reuse of existing work might save something, but if it's not a
requirement (and it currently isn't) it won't necessarily be a significant
issue if reasonable alternatives are described instead.

-Scott-