--On March 20, 2005 11:44:30 AM -0800 Tim Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Good point.  My impression is that we do currently have SHOULD-level mandate
> serve valid HTML; recognizing that most real-world implementors do make a
> best-effort
> with tag soup.  Anyone who thinks that the language needs improving should
> suggest
> improvements.

I support a SHOULD on that. The Robustness Principle would suggest exactly
that. Consumers of Atom may make an attempt to parse arbitrary HTML-like
content, but producers should make the effort to serve clean HTML.

That free-range HTML is nasty stuff. In the past week, we had two customers
freely mixing slash and backslash in their URL paths. Sigh.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect, Verity