Bob Wyman wrote:
Henry Story wrote:

Yahoo! search launching a creative commons search engine ... it would be
very helpful if there were a machine readable way to set copyright
policy on entries.

..
    So, in summary, let's not go down the DRM path. It is a snake pit
from which no good will come. Also, please see my post about Creative
Commons at:
http://bobwyman.pubsub.com/main/2005/03/lazyweb_query_a.html

I agree that we should not slide down the DRM slippery slope.  But as you note, CC isn't about DRM.

On a side note, since Atom feeds may already contain a <link rel="alternate" ..."> to an HTML page on a server owned by the copyright owner, it's already possible to follow the CC recommendations for embedding: http://creativecommons.org/technology/embedding

However, if we want to facilitate things like searching and categorization, here is an example of an obvious-to-the-practitioner-skilled-in-the-art indicator of a CC license for Atom:

<link rel="license" href="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">"http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/" />

which of course also extends to whatever other license schemes someone might come up with, as long as they have URIs.

-John