On Apr 10, 2005, at 2:30 AM, James Aylett wrote:

OTOH since someone has asked the question who presumably is fairly
knowledgable about XML, and most people people are not, would it be
worth putting a brief comment pointing to the appropriate section of
the XML TR?

"Note that in XML the right angle bracket (>) need not be entity
escaped in many common situations. See <REF>."

I think this is really extraneous to our spec. I tend to agree with Martin that > is more legible than &gt;, but many software packages will always output &gt; because of the small but nonzero possibility of something like this happening:

 if (a[b[i]]>0) { c++; } // yer not well-formed

 -Tim