James Robertson wrote:

> At 11:38 PM 4/19/2005, you wrote:
>
>> The problem I'm having is with LiveJournal. They have 6.8 million
>> registered users, with 2.7 million active. We're talking about a
>> robots.txt of hundreds of megabytes. I imagine other blog hosting sites
>> (Blogger, Xanga) have a similar problem.
>

> Why would it be that big?  Why wouldn't it just be a site wide policy?

We offer users a choice. There's a "bot blocking" preference to address
exactly this issue on LiveJournal: some users want to be in search
engines, others not. The discussion two years ago mentioned the figure
25% and I'm not sure how accurate that is.

When users have domains or subdomains (a paid account feature), then we
do produce an appropriate robots.txt file. However, only 1.5% of users
have that option available to them.

I can understand if Atom doesn't want to bother with a small number of
sites that have a large number of users. They are few and far between.

>> Also, robots.txt can only handle noindex. What about nofollow? Is
>> nofollow needed? Is the summary/content recommendation sufficient to
>> handle noarchive and nosnippet?
>

> well, IMHO, nofollow is pointless.

I'm not a fan myself.

>   The rest of it?  Which aggregators pay any attention?

I was under the impression that this mailing list was involved in
creating a standard that could then be implemented by developers. I've
already mentioned JournURL's policy (from Roger Benningfield).
LiveJournal has little policy in effect and it's something we are (or at
least I am) trying to figure out. LiveJournal both produces feeds (RSS
and Atom feeds are produced for all users) and consumes them (it acts as
an aggregator via "syndication accounts").

I intend to contact some of the other large sites, but wanted to know if
something already existed. I don't want re-invent the wheel and have
already done a fair amount of searching for existing ones. I also don't
want to just fabricate an element on my own when there's a mailing list
for discussing such things.

-Nikolas 'Atrus' Coukouma