--On May 5, 2005 8:15:10 AM +0100 Andy Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> here is no RSS2 feature I can see that allows feed providers to tell
> aggregators the minimum refresh period.  There's the ttl tag.  That was, I
> believe, introduced for a different purpose and determines the Maximum time
> a feed should be cached in a certain situation.

We need both a ttl (max-age) and expires. One or the other is appropriate
for different publishing needs. We also need to specify what you do with
those values, or you end up with a mess, like the RSS2 ttl meaning reversing
over an undocumented value (Yikes!).

> What has yet to be tried is a specific tag in the core feed standard that
> promotes and determines good behaviour for aggregators refreshing their
> feeds.  Even if it were to prove only a limited benefit, it would still be a
> benefit.

It has been tried several ways, originally in robots.txt extensions and
also in RSS. It doesn't work. The model is not rich enough for publishers
or for spiders/aggregators.

Max-age/expires is already designed and proven. By page count, 20% of the
HTTP 1.1 spec is about caching. If we want to write a new caching/scheduling
approach, we can expect it to be a 20 page spec, plus an additional 10
pages on how to work with the HTTP model.

See the Notes section here for details on when to use max-age or expires,
and on the problems with calendar-based schemes.

  <http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceCaching>

wunder
--
Walter Underwood