Sjoerd Visscher wrote:
> [HTML 4.01 says:] This attribute describes the relationship from
> the current document to the anchor specified by the href attribute.
> The value of this attribute is a space-separated list of link types.
        But, if you copy HTML from one document to another, or you construct
an HTML document from parts, you risk carrying <a> tags with rel attributes
from one document to another. If I quote some HTML in a new HTML document
and the quoted HTML includes rel="alternate" in an <a> tag, are we really
saying that the presence of rel="alternate" in the quoted text establishes a
relation of the new HTML document as a whole?
        Personally, I think there is a serious scoping problem here. We've
got attributes of separable components of a page establishing metadata for
the page as a whole. Not good.

                bob wyman