On Monday, May 9, 2005, at 07:52 PM, Eric Scheid wrote:
rel="self" is in no way a substitute for an identifier
Why not?
the uri can change.

Yes, I acknowledged that a little after "why not?". So we have a tradeoff--greater permanence vs. greater resistance to spoofing. In my opinion, protection against spoofing is more valuable, in part because I expect most feed URIs to be stable enough that their changing won't be a significant issue. Also because things like the volume of SPAM that gets sent to me convince me that people WILL exploit atom:id's spoofability to DOS others' entries. I'm open to experience and reasoning to the contrary, but at this point, that's my position.