* Tim Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-05-22 04:50]:
> I do not agree in the slightest that atom:modified is any more
> useful than atom:updated for these purposes. The only
> distinction between modified and updated is that there might be
> changes, not considered significant by the publisher, which
> occur between atom:updated-timestamped versions.

I don’t think this is the only purpose. I can see a case mainly
for archival. Another use case might be RecentChanges newsfeeds
for wikis, where there generally is a concept of minor and major
edits that are nonetheless all considered to have significance,
just of different levels.

I can certainly see these use cases to an extension element and I
don’t think it would hurt much to do so.

I wonder, though, if it would hurt anything to introduce an
OPTIONAL atom:modified element for those cases where the
publisher wants it, and that it only means something when
provided? In particular, publishers would not be required to
provide it and would certainly not be required to change it for
“every change to an entry.” It would be nice for use cases such
as wikis if clients could be relied upon to understand such an
element when present.

Aristotle