On Wednesday, May 25, 2005, at 02:49  PM, Graham wrote:
On 25 May 2005, at 9:01 pm, Antone Roundy wrote:
8.5 Denial of Service Attacks

Atom Processors should be aware of the potential for denial of service attacks where the attacker publishes an atom:entry with the atom:id value of an entry from another feed, and perhaps with a falsified atom:source element duplicating the atom:id of the other feed. Atom Processors which, for example, suppress display of duplicate entries by displaying only one entry with a particular atom:id value or combination of atom:id and atom:updated values, might also take steps to determine whether the entries originated from the same publisher before considering them to be duplicates.

How is this a "Denial of service" attack? Isn't it just ordinary spoofing/impersonation?

Apart from that, +1.

I don't particularly care whether we call it a DOS or something else, as long as we point it out and give implementers something to point to if asked why they're not simply accepting atom:id at face value.

But is it not potentially a DOS? The Good Guy publishes an entry. The Bad Guy copies the atom:id of that entry into an entry with different content, gives it a later atom:updated, and publishes it. The aggregator stops publishing/displaying the Good Guy's entry and instead publishes/displays the Bad Guy's entry. Thus, the subscriber doesn't see the Good Guy's entry (unless they saw it before it was replaced).

But you're also right--if they saw it before it was replaced and then, when they see the "updated" version, they think it was updated by The Good Guy, it becomes a spoof/impersonation. Perhaps we should say "Denial of Service and Spoofing Attacks" and "...potential for denial of service and spoofing attacks..."? How that's worded doesn't really matter to me.