This is a good venue. I think XMPP and polling can be explored.

But for the needs of BlogEd [1] on which I am working, and for my personal needs, I would really like us to introduce an extension to the link concept, to provide a pointer to the next page in a historically ordered sequence of feed documents. For many people who have dumb internet connections with very minimal servers, the xmpp solution requires a lot more technology than we have available or want to be
bothered with. Something like:

<link rel="http://.../next"; href="http://bblfish.net/blog/archive/ 2005-05-10.atom">

would be really useful. It requires only a working apache on the server side. On the client side it is really simple to follow. The client just needs to have access to the base feed url, and can follow these links through all the change history of the
feed if he wishes.

It would allow me to have a:
  - a remote backup of my blog
  - provide the means to synchronize it between two editors
- allow clients and aggregators to get a complete historical view of the feed.

And it comes at really no cost, since all it requires is for us to mint a new "next" url. So how does one go about extending atom? This was meant to be a feature of it,
and especially of the link concept.

Henry Story

[1] https://bloged.dev.java.net/
[2] http://bblfish.net/blog/

On 18 Jun 2005, at 06:27, James M Snell wrote:

Sam asked
> P.S. Why is this on atom-sytax? Is there a concrete proposal we are talking about here? Is there likely to be?

I launched this discussion here for three reasons:

1. Everyone who care's about it is probably already here

2. Main discussion about the syntax is pretty much complete so there is no real risk of derailing anything

3. If there was no already accepted solution to the problem, this would be a logical place to begin hunting for and discussing the solution

That said, however, is there a better venue that you could suggest?

Capping out the conversation a bit, Bob Wyman's RFC3229+feed proposal, once written up into an Internet-Draft, will provide the solution that I'm searching for (e.g. the ability to catch up on what has changed in a feed over a given period of time). The XMPP Push model would likely not be implemented in the case I'm considering but I couldn't rule it out completely. I believe it is Bob's intention to draft up the RFC3229+feed and pitch it to this group for discussion.

Sam Ruby wrote: