* David Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-06-18 17:15]:
> We are defining a data format here. If publishers want to
> publish entries as text, message/rfc-822, application/msword,
> image/jp2, or whatever, then that is up to them. I don't see
> how we can justify a MUST NOT requirement for "composite
> types".

I *do* see a problem with how Atom 0.3 overloaded the MIME type
to mean something completely different than “this is data that
you can feed a MIME envelope parser.”

I *don’t* see why composite types should be banned, rather than
handled the exact same way any other non-XML types are. I can
imagine this is because part of a multipart document could be an
XML document and there should not be a way for people to cheat
their way out of the restrictions on XML media types.

But that is only one of many use cases for envelopes. If that
really is reason enough for a blanket ban, then the other use
cases need to be accomodated somehow. E.g. how do I decompose
a message/rfc-822 in such a way that it can be stored in Atom?
And this mechanism should be explicitly designated in the spec as
the suggested way to deal with composite types. Unless we want
people to stick to RSS(+extension?) for that sort of thing…