I believe it would be very useful to specify that signed entries should include a source element. This can/should be considered part of entry canonicalization. The reason I suggest this is that signed entries are only really useful when extracted from their original source feeds. If entries are only read from their source feeds, then it is probably best for publishers to sign the feed, not the individual entries. (Note: It is my hope that feed publishers will anticipate that their entries will be extracted from the source feeds and will thus sign the individual entries rather than the feeds... i.e. Publishers should anticipate that intermediaries like PubSub and various other search/discovery services will aggregate their entries and republish them in non-source feeds.) When an entry is removed from its source, it SHOULD have a source element inserted if one is not already present. However, if a republisher inserts a source element into a signed entry that would break the signature. Thus, it seems reasonable that we should strongly encourage those who sign entries to anticipate the needs of subsequent processors by inserting the source elements in the original signed entries. By inserting the source elements, the requirement for others to break the signature will be drastically reduced. If an entry is signed, yet contains no source element, much of the utility of the signature (allowing verification of the original publisher) is eliminated.

   bob wyman