* Antone Roundy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-07-13 04:20]:
> If atom:link is intended to be dereferencable, then clearly,
> any solution that takes a value from atom:id and puts it into
> atom:link/@href has a strike against it since any feed that
> uses non-dereferencable atom:ids would either have to violate
> the spirit of atom:link to participate in the feature, or would
> have to invent a competing solution.

If atom:link is indeed intended to be dereferencable, then my
proposition is bunk and we need an extension element. Even if the
atom:id elements in question carried dereferncable URIs, and thus
could meaningfully be put into atom:link elements, that is beside
the point.

The letter of the spec does not mandate dereferancability right
now.

On whether this is intentional or an oversight, I await judgement
from the WG. Obviously, my own vote is that it’s fine as is: I
see no reason that dictates that atom:link must point to a
concrete Web resource, rather than just an abstract one – neither
conceptually/semantically nor in terms of consequences for
implementation of Atom generators and consumers.

OTOH, if the WG thinks the spec is meant to be stricter than the
letter of the current document, that might be a minor spec bug
that should be fixed in the -10 draft.

(I’m not entirely clear where the minor/major change threshold is
at this stage in the process, and if a fix to this aspect would
violate it. The wording would only require trivial additions; but
the consequences of the change might be considered too major.
Unless maybe it’s argued that this was what the spec said all
along, and this change therefore is just clarification? I don’t
know. Colour me lost.)