Antone Roundy wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 20, 2005, at 11:44  AM, Thomas Broyer wrote:
>> I was actually wondering why non-stateful feeds couldn't have
>> archives: in the "This month's Top 10 records" feed, why couldn't I
>> link to "Last month's Top 10 records"?
>> If this kind of links are not dealt within feed-history, then I
>> suggest splitting the draft into two (three) parts:
>>   1. fh:stateful: whether a feed is stateful or not
>>   2. fh:prev: state reconstruction of a stateful feed
>>   3. (published later) fh:????: link to archives of a non-stateful
>> feed
>> (no, I actually don't want such a split, I'd rather deal with the "3."
>> in feed-history, no matter how)
>>
>> If we want to solve this "issue" using a distinct element (fh:prev if
>> fh:stateful=true, fh:???? if fh:stateful=false), is fh:stateful still
>> needed? The presence of fh:prev would be equivalent to
>> fh:stateful=true,
>> the presence of fh:???? would be equivalent to fh:stateful=false, the
>> absence of both fh:prev and fh:???? would be equivalent to the absence
>> of fh:stateful, and the presence of both fh:prev and fh:???? would be
>> an
>> error.
>> This is off course true only if fh:prev must be accompanied by
>> fh:stateful=true. The question is: is it useful to have fh:stateful if
>> you have no link to any kind of archive?
>>
> I would think that rather than fh:stateful="true | false", it might be
> more useful to have (with a different element name, and perhaps
> different values) fh:what-kind-of-feed-is-this="sliding-window |
> snapshot | ???".  If it's a sliding-window feed, fh:prev points to the
> previous sliding window.  If it's a snapshot feed, then fh:prev points
> to the previous snapshot.  fh:what-kind-of-feed-is-this might have a
> default value of sliding-window.

+1

and with the addition of fh:prev/@updated (and an optional fh:prev/@title,
see below), it turns feed-history to a really cool extension!

We could also add some more hints about fh:prev processing depending on
fh:what-kind-of-feed-is-this:
 * if the value is "sliding-window", an Atom Processor MAY reconstruct the
feed state automatically without user interaction
 * if the value is "snapshot", an Atom Processor SHOULD NOT retrieve
archive snapshot feeds unless told by the user (e.g. showing a link or
button using fh:prev/@title as the label); when presented to the user,
entries in the retrieved snapshot feed SHOULD replace any entry from
within another snapshot (e.g. "Last Month's Top 10 records" should
replace "This Month's Top 10 records").

fh:prev/@title could be used on sliding-window feeds to indicate the title
of the latest entry in the previous feed (just like blog homepages
sometimes link to the previous entry using its title).

fh:prev would look like:
<fh:prev updated="2005-06-30T23:55:30" title="Last Month's Top 10 records"

--
Thomas Broyer