* Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-08-02 16:05]:
> I'm not yet sure what the right thing to do here is, but lets
> to do the right thing.

The spec as defined already leans in the direction of favouring
simplicity in consumers in many areas, but does so particularly
heavily when it comes to IDs. Cf. RECOMMENDED normalization and
all.

It seems natural to extend the assumptions about dumb clients
that should be catered to by outlawing whitespace.

I believe the spirit of the spec as it currently stands already
outlaws whitespace. The spec just isn’t explicit about it, hence
the problem we’re facing now.

> Even if we decide that whitespace is not significant, I do
> believe that having the feedvalidator issue a warning in such
> cases is appropriate.

Yes.

At the very least, the normalization procedure that the spec
RECOMMENDS should contain language about stripping surrounding
whitespace.