Graham Parks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 12 Aug 2005, at 9:16 am, Carey Evans wrote:
>
> > First, where does the spec actually say that the atom:id shouldn't
> > change if the blog moves to a different domain?  I think that if the
> > URL of the blog changes, it means that the Atom Feed Document has been
> > relocated so the ID should stay the same, but Simon doesn't see this
> > in the spec.
>
> Section 4.2.6, paragraph 3:
>
>    "an atom:id element pertains to all instantiations of a particular
>     Atom entry or feed; revisions retain the same content in their
>     atom:id elements. It is suggested that the atom:id element be
>     stored along with the associated resource."
>
> If an Atom document is a feed of the same blog, then even if the blog
> has moved, the id should stay the same. What makes you think otherwise?

That same paragraph starts, "When an Atom Document is relocated, migrated,
syndicated, republished, exported or imported, the content of its atom:id
element MUST NOT change.". For me, this paragraph talks about the *Atom
Document* moving, rather than the content that it represents (i.e. a blog). Mark
Pilgrim has a great article about Atom IDs and towards the end of it goes on to
talk about the same entry in multiple feeds
(http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/05/28/howto-atom-id#multiple), although
that's not what I'm talking about here.

Just to quote an example, Tim is currently using URL based Atom IDs, such as :

<id>http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/</id>
<id>http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/08/09/Web-2.0</id>

If Tim *moves* his blog to www.timbray.com/ongoing, would you expect his Atom
IDs to remain the same? Spec aside, this has some implications for storing Atom
IDs next to content they identify, which I imagine doesn't happen in most CMS
tools at the moment.

> > Second, what sort of values should be used for the scheme attribute on
> > the category?  Looking at http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ongoing.atom as
> > an authoritative example, it seems that the scheme should be the same
> > for all categories, but Pebble uses the URL of the individual category
> > page.  The spec doesn't say, so does it matter?
>
> Section 4.2.2.2:
>
>     "The "scheme" attribute is an IRI that identifies a
> categorization scheme."
>
> "categorization scheme" means the system used to categorize entries.
> Presumably each blog has its own system for doing so, so the scheme
> attribute should be the same for all posts from the same blog, and
> unique to the blog.

The categorization scheme is a little confusing, although looking at Tim's feed
and a few others has cleared up in my mind what I should be using. Basically, I
was using this

<category term="pebble" label="pebble"
scheme="http://www.simongbrown.com/blog/tags/pebble"; />

rather than this (notice the shorter scheme)

<category term="pebble" label="pebble"
scheme="http://www.simongbrown.com/blog/tags/"; />

Are there any recommendations as to that the scheme attribute should be and what
it might be used for?

Simon