I would call desktop clients "clients" not "robots". The distinction is
how they add feeds to the polling list. Clients add them because of
human decisions. Robots discover them mechanically and add them.

So, clients should act like browsers, and ignore robots.txt.

Robots.txt is not very widely deployed (around 5% of sites), but it
does work OK for general web content.

wunder

--
Walter Underwood