On Oct 24, 2005, at 5:18 AM, James Holderness wrote:
Eric Scheid wrote:
The challenge with using alternate to point to files of different types is that why would someone do (a) when they can already do (b) without
the help of a new extension

(a)
<link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="http://example.com/ file.mp3"> <x:alternate type="application/ogg" href="http://example2.com/ file.ogg" />
</link>

(b)
<link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg"
href="http://example.com/file.mp3"; />
<link rel="enclosure" type="application/ogg"
href="http://example2.com/file.ogg"; />

With (a), we know the .mp3 and the .ogg are simply different formats of the
same thing. With (b) we don't know either way.

I like (a) in concept because, as you say, it enables you to tell when two links are the same so if you're auto-downloading you don't need them both. However, I do think James is right in thinking that many people will just use (b) because it's already there.

I don't see the harm in allowing (a) though. If a feed producer uses (a) and an end-user has auto-downloading enabled for that feed, they both benefit from less wasted bandwidth. The only downside would be that aggregators that aren't aware of this extension would fail to see the alternate enclosures. Is that so bad though? It's a trade-off the feed producer has to make - I'm not sure we should be making that decision for them.

Here's the middle path:

(c)
<link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="http://example.com/ file.mp3" x:link-set="a" /> <link rel="enclosure" type="application/ogg" href="http:// example2.com/file.ogg" x:link-set="a" />

This won't save you from bandwidth waste by aggregators that don't support the extension, but it also won't prevent users of those aggregators from getting the data in a format they can use. That said, this is not my preferred method. I'd rather protect bandwidth and the user's hard drive space--all the more important because enclosures are often quite large.

Here's a final option--is it legal? Is it better or worse than (a) in any ways?

(d)
<link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="http://example.com/ file.mp3"> <link rel="alternate" type="application/ogg" href="http:// example2.com/file.ogg" />
</link>

Better: Doesn't require processing of a new namespace or element-- just a new way of using the data that one gets out of an existing element.

I prefer d, a, c and then b.