Hi David --

Not sure whether you're referring to feed licensing in general, or to the problem of feeds with differing licenses and their relationships. Can you clarify?

In either case, I think that requiring RDF in order to license a piece of content would inhibit uptake. I think that's why most of the methods described at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Syndication don't embed RDF directly. Of course they are indirectly referencing RDF in the case of Creative Commons licenses, so people who have RDF processors can certainly apply them constructively. However the license relations are not limited to RDF.

In general, on a discussion, design, and implementation level, trying to deal with

<link rel="license" href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/"/>

is a lot easier to deal with than

<!--

<rdf:RDF xmlns="http://web.resource.org/cc/";
xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";>
<License rdf:about="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/";>
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Reproduction"/>
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Distribution"/>
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Notice"/>
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Attribution"/>
<permits
rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/DerivativeWorks"/></License></rdf:RDF>

-->

It's also, of course, much shorter, which becomes important when you consider the use of per-entry licenses in synthetic feeds.

The same arguments apply to microformats, I think, which is why rel-license exists... which might be relevant to GlobalClip.

John

M. David Peterson wrote:

Hey John,

This is obviously an important question that also relates to the
GlobalClip/Citation work that I Bruce D'Arcus (Cc'd) and myself are
working on to allow the ability to extract all of the relative
meta-data, including licensing information, as part of a copy/paste
operation [web page > Oo.o, Word, etc...].

Thus far I have been using the documentation on Creative Commons
(http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/index_html) that
covers this area quite extensively.

My question: Is there any reason why the RDF method described at the
above link should not be the method promoted as the de facto standard?

I completely understand your reasoning behind looking to find a
solution to correctly propagate and promote a particular method for
content producers in whom use multiple licenses dependent upon various
factors such as those you've mentioned.  While using the rel attribute
seems to be an easy route, I'm not so sure that all of the various
distinctions can be properly handled by a single attribute.  With this
in mind, it *seems* that given the existing RDF route promoted by
CreativeCommons covers all of the necessary pieces to allow for such
things, this would by far be the best route to promote to content
producers.

Thoughts?