On 7/17/06, Eric Rescorla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If by "existing auth database" you mean the basic or form database,
this is generally correct--though one could in fact implement
an auth database that would work for both.

Right. But some of our server implementers couldn't implement it if
they wanted to.

> Digest's more extensive protection options are basically
> unimplemented.

By "more extensive protection options" do you mean the auth-int mode?

Yes, but I believe some clients even screw up auth mode, and only work
with 2069-style. Container-managed security in Java Servlet
implementations often doesn't work with Digest, at least with the
vendor-provided authentication classes.

I'm not familiar with what HTTP implementations do, but I'll note
that SIP implementations will do auth-int.

Mozilla doesn't do it. Apache (mod_auth_digest) doesn't do it. Opera
does. I don't know what MS libraries do these days.

Feel free to take this point up with the IESG. I doubt you'll find
them very sympathetic, however.

Well, I'd like the document to reflect reality, but I suspect that
will be no match for the IESG rules in combination with some WG
members that want Basic+TLS enshrined in the document because that is
what they are going to deploy.

--

Robert Sayre