On 1/12/06 5:21 AM, "Antone Roundy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 5) Create a new media type for entry documents, and use @rel values
> to solve issues that doesn't solve:
>
> +/- Messy territory
>

> If we were starting from scratch, I'd probably vote for #1.  Since
> we're not, I'd vote for #4 first, and perhaps #5 second, but I'd have
> to think about #5 more first.

Starting from scratch, idealised, I'd want different media types (or params)
for entry documents and feed documents, and link type which clearly
indicates "this is for subscription", as distinct from "this is an alternate
representation", "this is an archive", etc.

Using the two mechanisms together allows combinations such as "here is a
feed you can subscribe to of the comments for this entry" and "here is a
feed document listing related resources, but since it won't likely be
updated don't bother subscribing".

I'd like to be able to use a lot of the link types we currently use for html
(directory, help, toc, related, next, etc) to refer to resources which
happen to be serialised in the atom feed document format, and feel safe in
knowing they won't be automagically treated as being subscription feeds.

e.