Just to say that I strongly agree with Jan's points below. We should work to use the link relation type properly, and not get dazzled by the current misuse of the alternate relation.

I have been wondering if there would not be a case for different mime types if one wanted to place a number of representations at the same url.

One could for example have the following at the same place:

- an html version of a blog post
- an <entry> representation of that blog post
- a <feed> for the history of changes to that blog post

That would suggest having different media types because one could not place them at the same location if one only has application/atom +xml . That does not decide the issue as to whether it is a good idea to do so.

For the moment I find the application/atom+xml;type=entry application/ atom+xml;type=feed more appealing than the other new media types by the way.

On the other hand having different mime types for every document format is also crazy. If someone invents a doc to describe cats, and someone else a doc to describe mice, are they going to need a new mime type? And what about a doc to describe policemen, and a doc to describe people? We could end up quickly with an infinite number of mime types which clearly would not help interoperability.

Henry