Anne van Kesteren wrote:
So if a feed is non-well-formed you should just parse it as well using some tag soup parser for XML?

Well that's what I do. The Google Reader blog post I quoted estimated that about seven percent of feeds contained XML errors of some kind. That's a lot of feeds for me to ignore. I'm sure other aggregator authors will choose otherwise. It just depends on their needs and the needs of their users.

I'd like error handling to be defined in great detail. Everyone just doing what is best for their users will lead you to where HTML is now (at best).

To be honest, I don't care. I'm not trying to make policy here. I was just offering my advice to one particular person in response to one particular query.

Regards
James