The technique for addressing integer overflow in a general setting
seems too costly. ATS is already very complex at this point.

The mismatch between the statics and the dynamics is explicitly mentioned.
For instance, it is mentioned in the last paragraph of the following
article:

http://ats-lang.sourceforge.net/DOCUMENT/INT2PROGINATS/HTML/HTMLTOC/x2403.html

I want re-emphasize that this mismatch is primarily for the purpose of
making ATS more accessible. One can and probably should build his or her own
arithmetic API in ATS when using ATS for critical low-level programming. It
is even better if one
is willing to share as well.