If we talk syntax, why not adopt that of C? :-)

13 февр. 2018 г. 8:43 ПП пользователь "August Alm" <august...@gmail.com>
написал:

I second the preference for Haskell-style "let" and "where", which is to
say no "end"s and no curly braces.
Of course, this requires indentation to be syntactic and not just a matter
of aesthetics/readability. I think this
is a good thing, not just because it is more concise but maybe even more so
because it enforces readability
(non-indented code will not compile) and stylistic uniformity in the
community.

As a side-note, Haskell allows curly braces and semi-colons as an optional
form of writing.
One may write "foo f = let {x=a; y=b; ...} in ...", etc. Useful for
one-liners or for people who want their code
to look like more C-ish.

Den måndag 12 februari 2018 kl. 19:59:54 UTC+1 skrev gmhwxi:

> Thanks.
>
> Haskell and Idris are definitely on my radar.
>
> Type inference in ATS is very week (largely due to the support
> for dependent types and linear types). To support concise syntax,
> type inference in ATS needs to greatly strengthened.
>
> On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 8:34:48 PM UTC-5, vamchale wrote:
>>
>> I don't have any concrete suggestions, but I would suggest Idris as an
>> example to follow. Haskell syntax is relatively popular and concise, and
>> Idris' is even more refined.
>>
>> I will say I'd prefer syntax that eases functional programming, but that
>> might just be me. And I think that replacing -<lincloptr1> with something
>> more concise like -o would be a good decision either way.
>>
>> On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 12:15:22 PM UTC-6, gmhwxi wrote:
>>>
>>> For the moment, I just want to open a thread for ATS3.
>>>
>>> I decided to pick ATS/Xanadu for the full project name. I like the name
>>> Xanadu
>>> because it is poetic and brings a feel of exoticness.
>>>
>>> ATS3 is supposed to be compiled to ATS2. At least at the beginning. I
>>> will try to
>>> write more about what I have in mind regarding ATS3.
>>>
>>> I know that a lot of people have been complaining about the syntax of
>>> ATS2. So
>>> we can start the effort of designing some "nice" syntax for ATS3. Please
>>> feel free
>>> to post here if you would like share your opinions and ideas.
>>>
>>> I will be happy to take the lead but we definitely need to have some
>>> form of community
>>> effort on this project given its size and scope.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> --Hongwei
>>>
>>> PS: I felt rushed every time up to now when implementing ATS. This time
>>> I am hoping
>>> to have the luxury of thinking about implementation a bit before
>>> actually doing it :)
>>>
>>> --
msgid/ats-lang-users/7bf25292-2094-4d32-9d74-6937e298a240%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ats-lang-users/7bf25292-2094-4d32-9d74-6937e298a240%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.