On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 12:15:22 AM UTC+6, gmhwxi wrote:

> For the moment, I just want to open a thread for ATS3.
>
> I decided to pick ATS/Xanadu for the full project name. I like the name
> Xanadu
> because it is poetic and brings a feel of exoticness.

ATS3 is supposed to be compiled to ATS2. At least at the beginning. I will
> try to
> write more about what I have in mind regarding ATS3.
>
> I know that a lot of people have been complaining about the syntax of
> ATS2. So
> we can start the effort of designing some "nice" syntax for ATS3. Please
> feel free
> to post here if you would like share your opinions and ideas.

I will say what I would like to see:

1. IDE support (especially for the hard parts, i.e. the proofs!)
2. the syntax is very complex (maybe simplify?)
3. better support for flat types (e.g. flat unions, flat unboxed arrays on
stack, etc.)
4. compilation to wasm
5. tools (especially for building, but also package management)
6. some kind of help for implementing various intricately-linked data
structures (doubly-linked lists, doubly-linked trees, etc.)
7. improvements to templates (e.g. templates for indexed type variables, is
that even possible?)

To make ATS viable, we have to make its kind of typeful programming
friendly.

I will be happy to take the lead but we definitely need to have some form