Hi Lance,

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 9:40:55 PM UTC+6, Lance Galletti wrote:

> Hi ats users!
>
> I recently had the opportunity to give a talk at a hackathon about ATS and
> coding productivity / quality. I thought I would share my slides here:
>

> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/157VR0oQNTfUiiChYdbv77PYZkYKo_zkZfwRiqGv6sEY/edit?usp=sharing
>
> And the informal write up I am currently developing:
>
> https://github.com/galletti94/magnificATS/tree/master/INTRO
>
> If, like me, you are passionate about coding quality, methodology,
> productivity, or functional programming and, of course ATS, please reach
> out!

First off, I chuckled when I saw the name of the repo. :-)

I want to write something about the C-style programming for ATS, but not
quite have the time (or the guts or whatever it is I lack). It would be
great to help fellow programmers learn more about ATS!

> I would be happy to collaborate on the write up and hear your thoughts
> about what drew YOU to ATS.

I still view ATS as C-with-proper-type-system. :) This is what drew  me to
ATS: you can write safe, efficient systems-level programs but this will
require some theorem proving, bringing this academic discipline close to
actual programming practice (or you can cast your way through the types,
but then you're the one to blame if things go wrong). ATS helped me to
improve my knowledge of C.

Regarding your write-up, have you seen HtDP (How to Design Programs)? Their
"design recipes" are somewhat similar IIRC (proceed top-down, refine, state
pre- and post-conditions, provide examples of evaluation aka tests).

Looking forward to connecting!