Currently, my practice is just declare something like:

abstype myenum = int

or

abstype myenum(i:int) = int

Then implement 'myenum' somewhere in a file. It can clearly be done, but it
is really tedious,
involving a lot of boilerplate type of code. I suppose some kind of
meta-programming can be
supported so as to reduce/eliminate this kind of coding.