Uwe Brauer <o...@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> When all else fails, read the instructions.  I quote from INSTALL:
>
>> 6 Installation for non-privileged users
>> ***************************************
>
> I have the following paths set
>
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/site-lisp") load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/site-lisp/packages")
> load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name
> "~/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-11.88") load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name
> "~/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-11.88/auctex") load-path))

Let me just quote the XEmacs specific instructions _again_ (you cut them
when replying):

       XEmacs users can achieve the same end by pointing `configure' at an
    appropriate package directory (normally
    `--with-packagedir=~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages' will serve).  The package
    directory stands a good chance at being detected automatically as long
    as it is in a subtree of the specified PREFIX.

You are meddling with your load-path as if you were using GNU Emacs.
Please _either_ indeed use GNU Emacs, or follow the instructions
specific to XEmacs.

But creating some Frankenstein installation in between will not likely
work.

--
David Kastrup