That came in with this commit:
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/commit/437d6047c11b609b80e75fa89bf74206417ea6be

I'm asking about the thinking behind it and will get back when I have an
answer.
It's most likely to match the lists reported on our website:

http://www.audacityteam.org/about/credits/
In which case we need to get an up to date list for that too, whether or
not we keep the list in the about box, as that list looks ancient.

--James.