creating a hierarchy

so I've been messing around with playing cards just to see what i can do with them as an experiment. I'm not sure if this is going to amount to anything substantial, but we'll see. one thought that occurred to me with the likes of a poker game or something similar where you have a hierarchy of objects, how might you create that? specifically with the like of a poker game, how might you implement different hands beating each other? this doesn't have to do with card or poker games specifically. you guys can take it anyway you want.
just note that my language of choice is python so either specific examples in that language would be nice, but even general word examples that aren't language specific would be good for all to see if they could implement that in their own language of choice.