Re: Accessible Paint Programs?

Short answer: no, unless you count Powerpoint

Long answer:
Microsoft Powerpoint is the closest thing I've found to an accessible image-creation tool. I have no idea how Powerpoint and accessibility have evolved over the past decade, since I tried to treat Powerpoint as a game creation tool, and Microsoft and Freedom Scientific focused on making it a better slideshow presentation tool, and it would have been kinda weird to complain in this case, so I just stuck with old versions of Powerpoint and Jaws.
My attempts at creating something better run up on the same problems that anything I try to create face, which is to say, I am bad at finishing things.
Since I have no idea where my Office 97 installation disk has gotten to, and I can't stand the sluggishness and the ribbons in anything made after 2003 (I thought computers were supposed to be getting faster?), I've been resorting to Java.awt whenever I want to create an image. I don't do this often because my attention span has only gotten shorter with time and I'm trying to translate imagination into numbers with only the vOICe and my image viewer program to check my work.

In Powerpoint, Jaws had decent reporting of shapes on the Autoshapes menu, could identify the most common objects on the slide, and could describe how objects overlap. The properties dialog for shapes was accessible, so moving, rotating, scaling, and changing colors (including gradients) was doable. Powerpoing 2000 had better accessibility with Jaws3.7 (colors were sometimes labeled, and it supported labeling objects for easier identification), but I never got an Office 2000 installer, so lost that version when my Win98 box stopped booting.
If my Dropbox wasn't (apparently permanently) suspended, I'd throw in some of hte terrible images I made here. I don't think I have anything I made in Powerpoint on this computer, but I do have sad_demon.jpg and HappySpider.p ng. And the test image I made with Pygame, but that's just circles and lines and things to test the image viewer.

I did make a couple better things back in the Java6 era, and by "better" I mean "they had shading?". I made the Jacolanterns in this video (but not the butterfly). I have an armless, legless character concept lying around somewhere, but for some reason it was horribly frustrating to get the limbs to show up. I dunno, maybe I'll make a "crappy images I made since 2002" album at some point.

(Oh, yeah. Powerpoint 97 + Jaws 3.7 was bad at detecting shape overlap when the shapes were rotated, so I had to use a lot of trig a lot of the time.)