Regarding postfix, dovecot and user system accounts

hello people. I'm having a question for you all... I wouldn't normally post this kind of question here, but, as I have my own ubuntu server up and running with my own mail server, that someone setup for me,  I have decided to  work on a friends server because of stuff that I will not say here as of yet. but, anyways, I'm running postfix with Dovecot and using system user accounts for authentication. Everything seems to work out okay, I can send emails to different email servers, but I  cannot receive email coming into the server. I know I have configured it right, or so I think. ah, just wundering, would this type of thing be an mx recored problem? I begin to wunder that as well because of the fact, I have purposely sent an email on the same server, but to a non existing user account stored on the server. again, mx recored problem? As I have said before, I can send, but I can't receive email. is there something else I should do? or is the mx reco red the only thing I should worry about? thanks all and I'm sorry for this long post here.