Re: my virtual machines

Virtual machines are simpler than DOSBox? Really? Please explain. As far as I can see VMs are an improvement! Well, as long as you keep the CPU core count to 1, anyway.

What about software synth under DOS? Is "Smooth talker" also a Windows-only construction, using SSIL? Perhaps what we really need to make this project complete is a Keynote-SA-compatible synth emulator, if only I had the escapes; then we could run Master Touch. Or maybe I will implement a Dolphin Apollo II, so we can run Hal5 or Hal Lite.

I miss the old days, too, and especially DOS and Windows 3.11. But I have to admit to feeling fairly lost and confused at this point. It seems to me rather tragic that we are going to such depths to relive the irretrievable past ...

Then again, the one thing DOS had going for it was BIOS interception. Because of that, playing interactive fiction was perfect, all the time. Perhaps that is one reason to do this, really, and preserve it. Who knew that we c ould move forward by going back?